If you've grown up in or around Cincinnati, you've probably had an experience with the Peters Cartridge Factory, whether driving or biking past it or by entering illegally (you know who you are). The old factory was built to produce ammunition in the early days of the 20th century and sat empty for decades in a legendary display of decay. There's nothing like it in Cincinnati. In the last 40 years especially, the darkened factory became an irresistible canvas for graffiti artists, a tantalizing adventure for urban explorers, and a haven for feral cats.
Today, though, the Peters Cartridge Factory is no longer a hulking, mysterious blight on the Little Miami River valley. After many years of planning and development, all four buildings on the campus are home to 134 slick new apartments known as The Peters Cartridge Factory Apartments.
Bloomfield/Schon, the Cincinnati-based design and development firm behind the transformation of the factory, kept a large amount of the buildings' character when coming up with the redesign. Historic tax credits were issued for the project, requiring the preservation of the factory's aesthetic where possible to offset the cost of development. Turnbull Wahlert Construction is responsible for building it out.
LIVING IN THE FACTORY
Here are the meat and potatoes of what you need to know about the redevelopment:
- 134 apartments with 40 unique floor plans
- Studios, one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments
- Several multi-story apartments, including a four-story apartment located in the iconic shot tower
- Amenities are still being added. Currently, there's a gym with a putting green, a 3,000-square-foot community room, outdoor dog area, indoor bike storage and repair station, and both open-air and covered parking.
- There are four different buildings: Riverside (75 units), Hillside (five units), Lofts (11 units), and Grandin (45 units).
- There are three retail spaces in the complex, one of which is occupied by Cartridge Brewing.
- Dog and cat friendly!
- Most apartments have in-unit washer/dryer, and every floor has community machines available.
WAYS TO VISIT
You can plainly see how much has been done to the factory by traveling the Loveland Bike Trail, but if you want an in-person showing, set up an appointment by going to PCFApts.com.
You can also check out the gallery above to see photos of the inside if you'd rather stay put.
And if you really want to see how far the development has come, check out our pre-construction tour from several years ago.
The Peters Cartridge Factory Apartments are located at 1409 Grandin Road (45039).