Maybe it’s because they make us think of being a princess.
Maybe it’s because they makes us think of being a knight.
Or maybe it’s just because they’re cool.
If you’re wondering what in the world I’m talking about, here’s where I clue you in. I’m talking about castles. Ever since we first learned about castles as children, we were fascinated by them. And don’t pretend you weren’t, too... The moat. The drawbridge. The tower. The feasting on a wild boar. It all sounds pretty dreamy.
So that’s why, when I discovered Squire’s Castle in Willoughby Hills, OH (think Cleveland), I had to share it with all of you.
FUN FACTS ABOUT SQUIRE'S CASTLE
1. It’s not really a castle at all. Rather, it’s the shell of a building that was never fully completed.
2. It was initially erected in the 1890s by Feargus B. Squire, who was a big wig with the Standard Oil Company.
3. It’s purported to be haunted by Squire’s late-wife, Rebecca. Legend says she died and broke her neck inside the cottage house. Records say she died years after he sold the property at their actual home in Wickliffe, Ohio.
4. Cleveland Metroparks acquired the property in 1925.
5. It’s free to visit and open to the public year-round.
Now scroll back to the top and get a look at the mysterious, yet cool Squire's Castle.
- - -
Squire’s Castle is located at River Rd. Willoughby Hills, OH (44094).