There are two kinds of people: those who enjoy roughing it while camping, and those who prefer a bed and plumbing over camping in any capacity.
You're one of these people (or you're the infamous "glamper" who goes "camping" with all the amenities enjoyed by non-campers and probably a flat screen TV). If you're in a relationship with someone who feels the same way about camping as you do, you're golden. But in the event you and your partner fall on opposite sides of the issue, it can cause turmoil.
I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that way, though. There's a solution to keeping both parties happy. There's a cabin balancing on the edge of a hill deep in the woods at Red River Gorge that also finds the perfect balance between roughing it and not roughing it at all.
It's called Moss Rock and it's 135 miles south of Cincinnati. As far as weekend getaways are concerned, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better option if you seek a little time in the great outdoors.
WHY IT'S GREAT FOR REAL CAMPERS:
- There's a fire pit for cooking meals
- There's no plumbing
- It's totally secluded in the woods
- No air-conditioning or electric heater
- You have to hike up a hill to get to it
- To see inside at night, you'll need lanterns and flashlights
- It's located within minutes of rock climbing areas and hiking trails
WHY IT'S GREAT FOR NON-CAMPERS:
- It has a solar-powered generator that can be used to charge devices
- It has a ventilated outhouse that offers some privacy
- There's a gas stove for those who want to avoid using a fire pit
- It has three queen size beds on two levels as well as chairs, a porch swing, and a couch
- Hand pumps conveniently draw water up from a well
- It comes with a huge Yeti cooler on the porch
- The outdoor deck is spacious and comfortable
- It features a gas fireplace for when the temperature dips too low
- It has a shower that uses a bucket and pulley system
It should be said that the cabin isn't wheelchair accessible and those who have difficulty hiking up steep hills will have trouble getting to it.
I could go on and on about how both parties will find something to love at Moss Rock, but you get the picture (if you need more, there are many in the photo gallery above). No more arguing over camping trips!
- - -
Moss Rock is located at 3546 Nada Tunnel Rd, Stanton, KY 40380.