You’re reading the words of a golfer with a double-digit handicap and a distressingly poor short game, realities which Topgolf has done little to alter in my two visits. That’s because while it's exceptionally fun, it isn’t really about golf.
Topgolf is essentially an entertainment venue. It’s one with a golf-lite theme, mind you; but it has plenty else going for it as well.
What I mean is, it isn’t a place to work on your game. For one, when you “play” Topgolf, the highest score wins. So, that’s different — perhaps trivially, but still.
Then there’s the 240-yard range, which isn’t nearly long enough to test out your most potent clubs — a certain subpar golfer (no pun intended) can get there with nary more than a hybrid.
What’s more, this isn’t like any driving range you’ve ever been to. It’s spotted by large targets (more like drains, actually) that earn you points for hitting... that’s what I meant by “playing” Topgolf.
You and your crew (yes, you should go with a crew) are assured of having hit said targets by the golf balls themselves, which are outfitted with computer-ish thingamajigs which track every shot’s accuracy, distance, and target proximity. Oh, and the targets light up at night, which is cool.
Seems like a good time for some bullet points:
- Topgolf is a 65,000-sq.-ft. space with 102 climate-controlled hitting bays on three levels. (Note: the second level is best.)
- Climate-controlled means heating and wind blockage. So yes, you can go when it’s in the single digits and still have a good time.
- Bring your own clubs if you like, but in case you don’t own any, they have bags for you.
- You buy a $5 lifetime membership card to play.
- There’s a large bar with a wine menu and cocktails as well as craft beer, all of which is also available via servers who will wait on you at the bays.
- Upstairs on the roof, there’s a bar with non-golf activities, like cornhole and Jenga.
- The food menu’s like a pared-down, more delicious version of the Cheesecake Factory.
Topgolf is located at 9568 Water Front Drive, West Chester. Head to their website for some more info.