Dennis Buttelwerth is a Cincinnatian who planted seeds of success over 50 years ago, and now he's gazing out upon a field of carefully-designed achievements.
A hometown, self-taught designer of floral arrangements for both the grandest occasions and humblest events, Dennis’ keen eye and attention to detail, as well as his unsurpassed commitment to his craft, has taken his career along the paths of U.S. Presidents, the Pope, international event organizers, and even Hollywood.
He is, objectively, a notable artistic and entrepreneurial Cincinnatian worth knowing.
PETUNIAS, PEONIES, AND PANACHE
His shop is in O’Bryonville, along Madison Road. While the days of the mom and pop flower shops have largely passed due to the advent of floral departments in grocery stores, the florist still opens the shop by appointment and works behind the scenes daily. In it, Dennis’ desk and a case of flowers sit just beyond a large picture window bearing his business’ insignia, a badge resembling five decades spent designing attractive, uniquely Buttelwerth arrangements for the likes of everyday citizens and world leaders alike.
He’s altered the business model to accommodate shifting tastes over the years, especially recently as the modern generation’s tastes seemingly lack the same fervor for grand displays previous generations did. But during a career as storied as Dennis’, it’s hardly an issue for the veteran designer.
In fact, the Buttelwerth name is synonymous for deftly tackling even the most challenging jobs. The florist is just as skillful in staging local weddings as he is enhancing Presidential Inaugurations and decorating the White House for Christmas. He’s woven a network of contacts across the nation to assist in his endeavors over the years, ultimately allowing him to achieve anything he takes on.
There is seemingly no limit to how high Dennis’ garden grows.
A ROSY RESUME
Behind his desk is a scattered chronology of awards and framed photos of his life’s career achievements. Dennis’ role in notable events include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Providing floral arrangements for the inaugurations of both Ronald Reagan in 1985 and George W. Bush in 2005
- Decorating the hospitality area for NBC Sports during both the 1975 and 1976 World Series
- Decorating the White House for Christmas in 1982
- Being part of a delegation of florists who traveled to Rome and joined others from 29 different countries to celebrate the Jubilee of the Vatican honoring Pope John Paul II
- Serving as co-chair of the Theme & Decorations Committee for the 1987 World Figure Skating Championships that were held in Cincinnati
- Working with Hollywood celebrities such as Elizabeth Taylor, Roberta Peters, Carol Channing, Bernadette Peters, Dolly Parton, and Bette Midler (to name a few)
And he’s not stopping. His loyal clientele still routinely hire him, and there’s always another wedding or event Dennis is preparing for. You’d be hard-pressed to find someone with his drive, accolades, and experience in his field in Cincinnati.
If you’re planning a gathering, don’t settle. Shop local and support someone who knows what you want.
And if you’re a president, a pope, or starring in an upcoming blockbuster, consider adding him to your contacts. You’re going to want to make an impression like your predecessors did.
- - -
Dennis Buttelwerth Florist, Inc. is located at 2012 Madison Rd. (45208).