You’ve certainly heard of essential oils by now, but do you know how they work? I sat down with the Brooke Harris, a Certified Holistic Life Coach with the Royal Oil Initiative of Cincinnati, and by the end, I bought seven oils and a diffuser.
Brooke graduated from Miami of Ohio with a degree in Exercise Science and has embraced a healthy and balanced lifestyle for quite some time. When her son Harper was only 10 months old, he became sick with his first upper respiratory infection due to the dreaded Cincinnati sinus/allergy season. The doctor said to just run a humidifier and let it run its course.
Brooke took it upon herself to look into alternative options that would be safe, gentle, and, most importantly, effective. During her research, she discovered doTERRA Essential Oils. She was blown away by their quality and how they had already been helping so many people.
She started using the eucalyptus and Breathe oils in a diffuser in her son’s room and noticed improvements immediately. Since then, they have incorporated essential oils into every aspect of their lives. Brooke is empowered to take control of her health, and these beautiful oils create a perfect first line of defense for her and her family.
NOTE: Essential oils should not be used as a replacement for traditional medicine. Consult a doctor if you're experiencing ailments and require treatment. For muscle aches and pains that require treatment beyond what essential oils can provide, OrthoCincy doctors are available for help.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are pure, liquid compounds extracted from plants. The oil is highly concentrated and retains the plant’s natural aroma. They are either steam distilled or cold pressed and do not contain any additives or preservatives. Through doTERRA’s Co-Impact Sourcing efforts, their essential oils are sourced from over 40 different countries around the world to ensure the most therapeutic and highest-quality essential oils on the market. They can be used as a natural alternative to chemical-based products.
The reason the tiny compounds of molecules can help our physical, mental and emotional state is by eliciting a response from our bodies and strengthening its natural processes. The body is made up of so many systems working together, and a boost from the various, naturally occurring chemical compounds in the individual oils work together to support these different systems.
Brooke’s Top Oil Picks:
Pre-Workout to Open Airways
- The Breathe oil is a powerful respiratory blend that combines laurel leaf, eucalyptus leaf, peppermint plant, melaleuca leaf, lemon peel, cardamom seed, ravintsara leaf, and ravensara leaf essential oils. It can be applied topically to the chest or used in a diffuser to maintain clear and open airways.
Post-Workout Power Duo
- AromaTouch, doTERRA’s proprietary massage blend, combines the unique benefits of oils known to provide relaxing and comforting effects. It contains cypress, peppermint, marjoram, basil, grapefruit, and lavender essential oils in a perfect blend to soothe tension anywhere on the body.
- Deep Blue is perfect for soothing muscles after an intense workout. Wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, ylang ylang, helichrysum, blue tansy, blue chamomile, and osmanthus work together to relieve discomfort.
Serenity & Balance
- Serenity Restful Blend has a calming and relaxing aroma that provides a unique user experience. This perfectly balanced, tranquil mixture can be felt immediately. doTERRA Serenity combines essential oils renowned for their ability to lessen feelings of tension and calm emotions and support a restful sleep when used aromatically.
- Apply one-to-two drops to the hands and inhale throughout the day to help reduce stress or diffuse at night to help quiet a restless mind.
- Lavender, lemon, & peppermint are three individual oils that combine to knock out seasonal threats.
Support Immunity and Sanitize
- OnGuard is a blend of wild orange, clove bud, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils. Support your immune system by diluting OnGuard with coconut oil and applying to the bottoms of the feet and down the spine for immediate immune boosting effects.
- Apply Melaleuca (Tea Tree) directly to the feet and toenails after working out each night, and especially if you are also showering, swimming, or exercising in public and high-traffic areas.
- Cleaning tip: Fill a glass spray bottle with warm and add a few drops of each of these oils for a multipurpose cleaning solution.
- Run these two oils in your diffuser to clean the air of any germs.
- Add a drop to 2oz of water and gargle to soothe an irritated throat.
- Apply a drop of wild orange and peppermint to the palm of your hands and inhale deeply to energize your mind and increase focus.
A Little of Everything
- Lavender is a “must-have” oil to keep on hand due to its various uses. It can be used topically to relieve any skin irritations or to promote restful sleep and used aromatically to ease anxious feelings.
- Wild orange is a beautiful, bright citrus essential oil that is sure to uplift the mind and the body.
- Balance is a grounding blend of spruce, ho wood, frankincense, blue tansy, and blue chamomile with fractionated coconut oil used to promote feelings of calm and well-being. Brooke loves to apply this topically to the bottoms of her feet every morning.
- These three also smell amazing together and make a great home diffuser blend.
- - -
For a personal consultation on how to incorporate doTERRA Essential Oils into your life, contact Brooke Harris through her Facebook page or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For muscle aches and pains that require treatment beyond what essential oils can provide, OrthoCincy doctors are available for help.