As part of her ongoing Facebook Live Quarantine Cooking with Kayla series, Chef Kayla Robison of Arnold's Bar and Grill recently aired an episode walking us through the ins and outs of making both sweet and savory crepes.
The crepe meal kits were originally available for purchase online during the week leading up to the episode (which aired Sunday, May 31st) and were prepared for pickup at Arnold's the weekend of the demonstration's airing so folks at home could follow along with her with the recipe ingredients already in-hand.
For this Sweet and Savory Crepes episode, Kayla was joined by Daniel Noguera, the founder of Urbana Cafe, who also discussed the three best ways to brew coffee at home.
Ready to make your own crepes? The recipe is below and the visual guide is above in our gallery. Let's get cooking!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CREPE BATTER
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 slices of ham
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 oz. of Nutella
- 1 banana, sliced
- Medium-size bowl
- Small saucepan
- Hand or stand mixer
- Nonstick skillet
- Rubber spatula
- - -
BATTER DIRECTIONS (to be completed the night before)
- Melt butter and heat the milk to warm, but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour eggs and oil in the center. Beat on medium speed.
- Slowly add the melted butter and warm milk mixture until the batter becomes uniform in texture.
- Let the mixture cool before you cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
CREPE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan or cast oven skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe.
- Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about two minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.
SAVORY CREPE: HAM AND GRUYERE INSTRUCTIONS
- Once the crepe is cooked on one side, add the egg to center and lightly beat, being careful not to tear the crepe.
- Move the egg around so that it covers the entire surface.
- Cook on low until the egg is 3/4 of the way cooked.
- Flip gently and cook for another two minutes on low.
- Add ham and cheese. Fold the crepe in half and top with arugula and drizzle of Dijon mustard (optional).
SWEET CREPE: NUTELLA AND BANANA INSTRUCTIONS
- Cook crepe.
- Add Nutella and banana and fold crepe in half.
- Top with more Nutella and bananas.
- - -
Show off your cooking skills by tagging us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram with a photo of your crepe creations. You can follow chef Kayla Robison on her Facebook for future Quarantine Cooking episodes.