First things first: I'm incredibly pumped that spring is now in full bloom, and that we can finally venture outside without fur coats.
There's also something that happens right around this time every April -- something that makes the acceptance of white pants & salmon colored shorts back into the collective wardrobe a tad bittersweet.
"What is it?" you ask. "What could possibly mitigate that joy?"
It's the end of another ballet season. (... Sigh.)
What began eight months ago is now coming to a close. And while we've seen our fair share of amazing moments during that time (e.g. the evil stepsisters in Cinderella, the indescribable tragedy in Lady of the Camellias, and the unparalleled soundtrack of Wild Sweet Love), we've never seen anything quite like the season's finale.
7 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD SEE "DIRECTOR'S CHOICE" THIS WEEKEND
1. Groundbreaking performances all choreographed by women. #whorunstheworld
2. The return of Heather Britt's Habitual (feat. James Gilmer and Maizyalet Velazquez), which made its debut in the 2013 Kaplan New Works Series. James, I know I say it every time, "But I freakin' love you. Your body is a temple. And you are an absolute pleasure to watch."
3. Lots of hot dudes without their shirts on. Ladies, prepare to swoon.
4. A world premiere that is one-part brilliant, two-parts sizzling, and overall just plain awesome. I'm talking about Jennifer Archibald's Redeem, which closes out the show.
5. Speaking of that world premiere... Cervilio's solo at the beginning is straight-up WHOA.
6. It's not your typical ballet. These pieces are contemporary. They're conversational, artistic, fluid, interesting, and, at times, unbelievably impressive. What the dancers can pull off with their bodies is more than worthy of a standing ovation or four.
7. This is the last time you get to see our talented ballet dancers until September. While absence surely makes the heart grow fonder, you know that you'll be dying to see these guys & gals come June. Treat yourself to one last, good long look now.
Bonus: That ending, tho. You'll have to go see it to know what I mean. [insert "wink-y face" emoji here]
- - -
Cincinnati Ballet performs Director's Choice this Saturday, April 30, at 2pm and 8pm at the Aronoff Center for the Arts.